Sachin Tendulkar scored his 50th test hundred today.
Cynics may ask whats so special about it? Well, cant help but deal with such comments. For first 50 is a round figure that no cricketer has ever achieved. The distant 2nd is 11 centuries behind the great. This 100 came in 2nd innings, more hostile conditions, of a test match. India was staring at an innings defeat, his partnership with Dhoni has almost avoided it. It has come against South Africa, more formidable bowling attack, all current batsmen have struggled against them at their home.
The master has conquered almost all batting records. He has been showered with comments through out the 2 decades. I have attempted to compile some of them in this post. Please comment about other comments I have missed here:
1) Cricket is my religion, Sachin is my GOD. — Anonymous (My favorite)
2) Nothing bad can happen to us if we are on a plane in India with Sachin Tendulkar on it.– Hashim Amla
3) To Sachin, the man we all want to be. — Andrew Symonds
4) Sachin is a genius. I am a mere mortal. — Brian Lara
5) We did not lost to a team called India…we lost to a player called Sachin. — Mark Taylor, during the Test match in 1997
6) The more I see of him the more confused I am getting to which is his best knock. — M. L. Jaisimha
7) The joy he brings to the millions of his countrymen, the grace with which he handles all the adulation and the expectations and his innate humility – all make for a one-in-a-billion individual. — Glenn McGrath
8 ) I have seen GOD, he bats at No. 4 for India. — Matthew Hayden
9) You can commit all your crimes when Sachin is batting, because even the GOD is watching him. — Anonymous
10) I am fortunate that I’ve to bowl at him only in the nets. — Anil Kumble
11) He can play leg glance with a walking stick also. — Waqar Younis
12) You can give a speech against the Prime Minister of India. But you cannot speak a work against Sachin. — Navjot Singh Sidhu
13) There are 2 kind of batsmen in the world. One Sachin Tendulkar. Two all the others. — Andy Flower
14) I would go to bed having nightmares of Sachin dancing down the track and hitting me for sixes. — Shane Warne
15) If I had to bowl to Sachin, I would bowl with a helmet on. — Denis Lillie
16) I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two…hi compactness, technique, stroke production… it all seemed to gel! in reference to Sachin Tendulkar. — Sir Don Bradman
17) Dont bowl him bad balls, he hits the goods ones for four. — Michael Kasprowicz
18) Beneath the helmet, under that unruly curly hair, inside the cranium, there is something we don’t know, something beyond scientific measure. Something that allows him to soar, to roam a territory of sport that, forget us, even those who are gifted enough to play alongside him cannot even fathom. When he goes out to bat, people switch on their television sets and switch off their lives. — BBC Sports
19) I Was fielding in the covers Tendulkar came out to bat in his debut Test at Karachi. I still remember Waqar Younis was at his peak form at that time. Tendulkar tried to drive Waqar through the covers off his very first ball in Test cricket but was beaten all ends up. But I walked to captain Imran Khan and told him ‘this kid looks very good’ and Imran agree with me. — Abdul Qadir
20) Sachin Tendulkar is, in my time, the best player without doubt – daylight second, Brian Lara third. — Shane Warne
21) “Tuzhe pata hai tune kiska catch chhoda hai?” — Wasim Akram to Abdul Razzaq when the latter dropped Sachin’s catch.
22) His mind is like a computer. He stores data on bowlers and knows where they are going to pitch the ball. — Navjot Singh Sidhu
23) If Sachin plays well…India sleeps well. — Harsha Bhogle
24) Sachin Tendulkar! If he isn’t the best player in the world, I want to see the best player in the world. — Rev David Shepherd
Thanks a lot for reading this post.